Saturday 21 July 2012

Graduate Profile: Natasha Bugg


Natasha Buggs fantastic geometric prints really caught my eye whilst browsing through Artsthread. Her graduate collection uses a mix of bright and subtle beautiful colours and her fashion illustrations are a great representation of the final prints and collection concept.

Here, Natasha talks about the concept for her graduate collection and what lies in her future as a Textile Designer.


Name: Natasha Bugg
Age: 22
Course:BA Textiles (Hons)
University: Norwich University College of the Arts


What was your concept for your graduate collection?

The concept for my graduate collection was around the idea of body image. I used scanned images of my body to develop into digital print designs. I wanted to convey the idea that whether you like your body or not it could be developed to make beautiful fashion fabrics to cover the body.

What is the key feature in your graduate collection?

The key feature in my graduate collection would be my own style of fashion contexts. I used scanned in faces and arms and arranged them to form a ‘model’ to input my fashion prints onto.


How would you describe the way you work?

I would say the way I work is raw to start with (photography, scanned images, drawings) but then developed and experimented with the use of Photoshop.


What inspired you to study Textiles?

I have always been inspired by art, design and fashion/interiors. Before starting my BA Textiles course my view of what Textiles could be was very limited but now I realise that Textiles is so open and that we are designers.

Did you collaborate with any artists/designers/companies or complete any work placements during your time at university? 

No, but I have taken part in competitions such as Bradford and Jam Tart.

What inspires you?

Prints! It doesn’t matter whether they are for fashion, interiors, stationary, cards I always focus on the print. For me it is more about the design rather than the fabric or material the print is placed upon.


Who are your favourite artists/designers/companies?

Basso & Brooke, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, Jeremy Scott.

What's next??

I recently exhibited at New Designers Part 1 2012, Islington, London and I am currently in process of working with View Studios. I am also going to be involved in Patternbases first book project. 

Where can we see more of you?

You can visit my tumblr at natashabugg.tumblr.com. There you can find my graduate work but also see what I have been up to since graduating and new designers such as drawing and entering competitions such as Beta Fashion.




No comments: