Wednesday 25 July 2012

Graduate Profile: Hannah Miles


Another follow on post from my New Designers 2012: My Selections post (see here), it's Hannah Miles' turn for a graduate profile.

The Lougborough University stand was right next to mine at New Designers and I was incredibly interested in going to see what the students had produced as I went to look at Loughborough as a University choice. The work on the Loughborough stand was excellent with lots of great prints, fantastic weave and an innovative moving dress. 

However, it was Hannah Miles' beautiful floral collection that really caught my eye. Despite florals being one of the most popular prints around, its hard to design one that actually differs from the rest.

Hannah's collection was full of outstanding florals: beautifully drawn florals and fantastic placement prints. The collection really was stunning and I stood there for about five minutes saying how much I wanted all of the clothes! 

Here, Hannah talks about her graduate collection and her many inspirations and ambitions. 


Name: Hannah Miles
Age:22
Course: Printed Textile Design
University: Loughborough University


What was your concept for your graduate collection? 

My collection was based around the title 'Who said romance is dead?" 

I thought of this title over the summer before I went back to university for my final year. I always knew I wanted to do a floral project, but i wanted to give a standard floral project a twist. This is where the title came in and it allowed me to draw my florals in their dead and alive forms, giving my designs an edge.




What is the key feature in your graduate collection? 

I focused on the placement of my print. I wanted my designs to be desirable, current and wearable to all women. 

How would you describe the way you work? 

I always work by hand drawing my imagery. I like to start with fine liner pen to grasp the form of the imagery and then move onto colour which then forms the basis of my design work.


What inspired you to study Textiles? 

I have always had a love for fashion but did not want to go down the garment design route. I love to draw so printed textiles seemed like the best option for me. 


Did you collaborate with any artists/designers/companies or complete any work placements during your time at university?  

I carried out a number of work placements during my holiday time from university. I worked for companies such as Bolongaro Trevor, Brora, Ted Baker, Reiss and Nicole Farhi. 


What inspires you?

The streets inspire me. Seeing someone wearing something i like helps me develop my designs 

Who are your favourite artists/designers/companies? 

My favourite designer is Erdem without a doubt. The placement of his print and imagery he uses are always so beautiful I admire the creativity and fashion knowledge of his team! 


What's next?? 

Next I am off to New York to work for a company called 'Collection 18' for a year, or more ... wish me luck :)

Where can we see more of you?




No comments: