Thursday 5 July 2012

Graduate Profile - Lauren Beebe

Whilst walking around New Designers, Laurens work really caught my eye with her beautiful interior prints. Here, she talks a little about her graduate collection and her relationship with textiles.


Name: Lauren Beebe
Age:22
Course: (BA) Hons Printed Textiles and Surface Pattern Design
University: Leeds College of Art and Design 


What was your concept for your graduate collection?


Renaissance Architecture, taking inspiration from decorative elements found within historic buildings 

What is the key feature in your graduate collection?

Recapturing Renaissance Architecture, I have focused the detail within my drawing and have deliberately made it linear in style for me this was a way of representing the aesthetic of the renaissance period, rich in detail.  



How would you describe the way you work?

I work in what I feel is quite an organised logical way even though that isn't how I would describe my personality!  I always try and research as much as possible on the subject and or theme of my work as I feel that this time allows me to get a grasp of what direction I want to take.  From there I draw, and design in unison through to completion. 


What inspired you to study textiles?

I chose the course at Leeds College of Art as it combined not only textiles but a wide range of surface pattern techniques, from book binding, various hand printing, digital, craft and felt this was the best option for me as i didn't feel ready to choose just one area after I had finished my Art Foundation.  And I am so pleased that I did choose the course that I did as I feel that I have become a more rounded and confident designer because of the knowledge that I have in various areas.  


Did you collaborate with any artists/designers/companies or complete any work placements during your time at university? 


I have collaborated with various galleries and have done commission's for wine bars and peoples gardens with outdoor abstract art works.  



Who are your favourite artists/designers/companies?

Graham and Brown, Timorous Beasties, Zoffany, Sanderson, Harlequin 

What's next??

I am moving down to the West Midlands Area near Market Harborough with the view to do as many design studio placements as I possible can to hopefully work and get a job. 

Where can we see more of you?




No comments: