Tuesday 10 July 2012

Graduate Profile: Anna Duthie


Another fantastic graduate profile to follow on from my New Designers favourites post. It was Anna Duthie's multi-media fashion illustrations that instantly caught my eye as I was walking around the Glasgow School of Art stand. Her work is a gorgeous mixture of print, embroidery and embellishment. Here, Anna talks about her beautiful collection and her time as a textiles student.


Name:Anna Duthie
Age: 22
Course:BA (Hons) Design - Textiles
University: Glasgow School of Art



What was your concept for your graduate collection?


My graduate collection was inspired by the decoratively patterned facades of traditional Norwegian houses which I discovered whilst on a trip to Norway. 
The aim was to create embroideries for contemporary womenswear garments. 



What is the key feature in your graduate collection?

I mainly focused on hand embroidery techniques such as beading and stitching to create unusual and textured fashion fabrics, balancing heavy embellishment with considered areas of colour and space. The time consuming hand work of my fabrics aims to reflect the hand carved craftsmanship of the Norwegian buildings.
Another key element to my work is colour, I wanted to create a subtle but unexpected, fresh and vibrant palette and hand dyed many of the fabrics.


How would you describe the way you work?

The initial focus of my work is always visual research, drawing and colour from which I identify interesting patterns and textures to develop repeats and designs from. During my graduate collection my final pieces were guided by the materials I sourced - mainly interesting beads, threads and fabrics.


What inspired you to study Textiles?

A love of art and design, and specifically pattern, texture, colour and fashion.


Did you collaborate with any artists/designers/companies or complete any work placements during your time at university?

I completed a summer placement with fashion designer Holly Fulton where I worked as a studio assistant, helping with production and embroidery on garments and accessories.


What inspires you?

Artists/designers/illustrators/photography - anything!


Who are your favourite artists/designers/companies?

Marni, Miu Miu, Celine, COS, Acne


What's next??

Hopefully some internships in embroidery and print for fashion and possibly a Masters at some point!


Where can we see more of you?

http://www.artsthread.com/viewer/graduate_portfolio?p=9473


No comments: