Sunday 29 April 2012

On Trend: Nail Art



Recently I have noticed how much nail art is becoming so popular. I first noticed the trend when the Barry M nail varnishes started popping up on my friends nails, the ones with the cracked and snakeskin look. I wasn't so keen on the look, so my nails were left to their bare state. 


Though now, the more colourful styles of nail art are making an appearance. In the May 2012 issue of Glamour magazine, their Glamour Promotion section focused on nail artist Zarra Celik for Max Factor. 

Here's the instructions to create the above colour-pop stripe look:

1. First, choose your two colours. Try mixing a pretty pastel with bright.
2. Alternating between a different shade for each finger, paint on two coats of each colour. This look is all about breaking the rules, so it doesn't matter if you paint one nail in one shade and the rest in the other!
3. Now it's time to get created. Using a toothpick or nail art brush, draw diagonal stripes in each contrasting shade onto the tip of each nail.


On a separate section in Glamour Magazine, an article on the statement looks for nails this summer shows two different styles of nail art, the first being 'Fishnet Chic'. The Nails Inc Magnetic Polish is a new polish with a magnet on the top of the bottle. When the magnet is held over the wet polish it rises to create an interesting fishnet look, as seen in the image below. 



The second nail polish shown in the article is the Nails Inc Nail Jewellery. After painting your nails in a base coat colour, apply two coats of the Nail Jewellery and you have some gorgeous sparkling nails.


After finding so much inspiration, I've been trying out some styles of my own. Below is my attempt of a bright pink base and yellow diagonal stripe. I'm not the neatest nail artist, but I've tried my best!


I hope you've enjoyed reading a little bit about nail art! Go and try some new looks yourself too :)

No comments: