Wednesday 11 April 2012

Designer Profile: Maarten Van Der Horst


Maarten Van Der Horst: new talent, fresh ideas, a great future.

This up-and-coming young designer, after completing his MA at Central Saint Martins, showed his first collection, Spring/Summer 2012, with Fashion East at London Fashion Week.

The London Fashion Week website has a great designer profile
on Maarten Van Der Horst, so I wanted to share it on my blog.


Designer name: Maarten van der Horst

Origin: Holland

Design background: Maarten graduated with a BA from the ArtEZ Institute of the Arts in Arnhem, Holland. During his studies he completed an internship with ChloĆ© in Paris, which “taught me enough to make me want to do my own thing”. He then moved to London for his MA at Central Saint Martins. His AW11 collection channelled transvestism and escapism, marrying intricately embroidered, second-hand nylon petticoats with Hawaiian shirts, Capri trousers and Bermuda shorts, creating a John Waters-inspired wardrobe. Spring/summer 2012 is his first season with Fashion East at London Fashion Week.

Design signatures:
“Lo-fi, blissed-out, D-I-Y glamour.”

Career highlight: “Fashion East SS12.”

How would you describe the Maarten van der Horst woman?
“Anyone gutsy enough to wear pastel-coloured nylon frills on Hawaiian shirts.”

Trademark piece:
“The ‘dragified’ Hawaiian shirt.”

Three autumn/winter 2012 inspirations: “Madonna performing Fever on SNL in 1993; horrible satin boxer shorts; love.”

What does 2012 hold for your brand?
“The launch of my Topshop capsule collection, my new website and the new winter collection that I’m showing under the Fashion East umbrella. So many things planned, can’t wait!”

What is your favourite decade in fashion? “The seventies, absolutely!”

Where do you go in London to seek artistic inspiration?
“My dreams!”


No comments: