Sunday 14 April 2013

Time to introduce you...

I've been deliberating whether to plug my new business on my blog or not, as it may seem a little self indulgent, however I've come to the conclusion that I just want to share my story and show my designs that I love and care about so much to the rest of the world.

So last month, I started up my digitally printed scarf business: miel / b. It all came about as I came across some of my Grandads old things he had collected over the years such as old books, matchbox cards, postcards and other little titbits. They had that raw, beautiful vintage aura to them and I was immediately inspired.

At the time I was unemployed, just out of University, and needed something to do, so I set out to design a collection of scarves. I ended up with my 'Nostalgia' collection: 4 scarves each with a very nostalgic theme to it. There's King George, Rations, Household Tips and Postcards.

It never even occured to me to sell them at first, I just thought I might print one for myself! But as time went on, I started thinking a lot more about starting up a business with my designs and so, I decided to start research and find out prices of printing, websites etc.

Five months down the line, and a small amount of savings later, I decided to finally launch miel / b.

I made a conscious decision to make sure that everything about the business was made or sourced from the UK. I was inspired after watching Mary Portas' The Bottom Line and figured it would also be a fantastic selling point. All the scarves are designed (obviously), printed and finished in the UK and all other products used eg gift boxes and custom stamps are sourced from UK companies too.

As well as selling my designs as scarves, I also have a custom design service so if anybody wanted something very particular on a scarf for themselves or a loved one, I can do that for them.

I am so happy with how everything has turned out, and I've had so much support from everyone I know.

Please take a look at my website to see my vintage inspired scarves, follow me on twitter and like me on facebook.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

they look so nice! keep it up!