Friday 12 October 2012

Floral Friday: Rosie Simons

This weeks Floral Friday is Rosie Simons, a University of the Arts London graduate. Despite having a degree in Graphic Design, Rosie warmed towards surface design and has created some really gorgeous prints. 

When I first saw her designs, I immediately thought how cute they were! Sweet, ditsy florals with bright and bold colour ways. 

Rosie talks me through her design career and her plans for the future:


"I am a graphic and surface designer naturally inspired by things around me, from day to day items to nature. I automatically visualise how imagery and objects will translate into designs, motifs and patterns. Graphic and surface design have always run parallel in my interests and I have developed my style to incorporate both these passions, a simple and clean but colourful aesthetic; combining simple graphic illustrations and typography. My passions lie in making something eye catching, whether that be a great logo for a company or a surface design used on products from wrapping paper, to clothing and homeware.



I am a keen and proactive designer, I love to go out and find new inspiration, taking photos of flowers, forms, shapes, textures and typography, reading blogs, collecting printed and tactile matter, wrapping paper, labels, to inspire motifs and creation of new work. I love to explore, see and experience new things. Colour, texture and shape are some of the most important aspects of both my personal life and my life as a designer. I generally work using my Wacom tablet, hand drawing motifs from photos or my imagination. I love the freedom and organic lines this creates and then develop the designs in illustrator.



I graduated in 2012 from University of the Arts London with a degree in graphic design and have previously worked for Dorling Kindersley and Croudace Homes among another places. I recently graduated from 'The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design' with Rachael Taylor and Beth Nicholls. The course has helped me learn the business side to Surface Pattern Design and develop my style and confidence as a freelance designer. I am currently looking for representation, commissions, licensing so please contact me via my website for more information. My dream is to have my designs licensed across many different surfaces all over the world!"

Rosie is just about to start selling her designs in an Etsy shop, rosiesimonsdesign.etsy.com. She'll be selling greetings cards and christmas cards, so check back on the shop this weekend to be the first to buy her stock!

Rosie's links:


Twitter: @rosie_simons

Rosie also sells on Society6: http://society6.com/rosiesimons




No comments: